Your Library Card
Who can get a library card?
- Anyone who resides within the city limits of Jesup or rural Buchanan County.
- Anyone who resides in an area of Iowa covered by the state's Open Access guidelines.
- Bring a photo ID with current address to the library.
Can my children get library cards?
- Children in 2nd grade may apply for library cards without a parent or legal guardian.
Does it cost to get a library card?
- If you are applying for your first card or renewing an expired card, it is free. Library cards expire every three years so we can keep your information current.
What are my responsibilities as a card holder?
- You are responsible for the use of your card. This includes returning materials on time, paying all fines, and reporting a lost or stolen card.
- If your card is lost or stolen and you do not report it, the card can be used by others but still remains your responsibility.
Is there a limit on how many items I can check out?
- The very first time that you are checking out items after applying for a library card, you are limited to 2 of any type of item. After your initial time there are no limits except on the number of DVDs and videocassettes on your card. These items are limited to 2 of each type.
How long can I keep the items I check out?
- Items you check out on the same day may have different due dates, depending on the type of item:
Due in 3 days -- DVDs, new magazines
Due in 2 weeks -- books, books on CD and magazines.
What if I need to keep items longer?
- You can renew your items by calling Circulation at (319) 827-1533 or by using our online renewal system at http://jesup.biblionix.com.
- Items are renewed for a length of time equal to the regular check-out period, DVD's are not renewable.
- The renewal period starts from the original due date of the item; you do not have to wait until the day it is due to get a full renewal period. You may renew at any time.
How do I return the items I check out?
- You may return items through the outside book drop near the front entrance or through the inside book drop.
- You may also return items from our library to other libraries covered by the state's Open Access agreement, such as the Independence Public Library.
What fines does the library charge?
- If you return items after the due date, the fine is $1.00 per day for DVDs. All other items have a $0.10 per day fine.
- If an item is lost or damaged beyond repair (more than normal wear and tear), the charge to your card will include the replacement cost of the item.
Someone else has the item I want to check out. What should I do?
- If you are at the library, speak to a staff member, and we will use your library card to put a hold on that item. When the item is ready for you to pick up, we will call or email you.
- If you are not at the library, you may use the online reserve link at http://jesup.biblionix.com or call Circulation at (319) 827-1533.